My research is often conducted in collaboration with international organisations and civil society groups, and I seek to influence governments’ tax policies using the findings I generate. In 2016, I was finalist in the Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC) Award for Outstanding Early Career Impact.
A selection of policy reports I have written is included on the publications page.
Here are some examples of policy engagement activities I’ve undertaken.
Strengthening Tax Systems in a Digitalizing World event, 2019
I gave introductory remarks for a discussion at this World Bank/IMF event on developing countries and global tax negotiations. The presentation slides are below. You can watch a video here, and read a summary brief based on my talk here.
OECD/G20 Inclusive Framework, 2019
I co-wrote a joint submission from political science academics to the OECD/G20 Inclusive Framework’s consultation on the tax challenges of the digitalisation of the economy. I also attended and spoke at the consultation meeting.
German Bundestag, 2019
External input to the Committee on Economic Cooperation and Development. I gave evidence to this committee in a written submission and a presentation. I also spoke at a meeting attended by staff from embassies of developing countries currently negotiating tax treaties with Germany. The presentation is below.
UNCTAD World Investment Report 2015
I was an expert adviser on this report, which had a themed chapter on International Tax and Investment Policy Coherence.
Francophone Low-Income Country Finance Ministers’ network, 2015
I spoke via Skype at a workshop on fiscal policy priorities. Here are my slides:
Here are some media articles with my comments in them, or written by me:
- Bob Geldof’s firm’s use of tax haven is legal, but the system hurts African nations, The Guardian, 31 July 2019
- Europe is targeting Big Tech with new taxes. It’s straining the transatlantic alliance. Washington Post (Monkey Cage), 18 July 2019.
- Global tax policy: where Germany is suddenly a developing country. Der Spiegel, 18 April 2019. [English translation]
- Court nullifies Kenya’s tax deal with Mauritius. The East African. 2 April 2019.
- OECD tax consultation on digitalization features 50+ speakers, diverse viewpoints. MNE Tax, 21 March 2019.
- BEPS Reforms Tough to Implement for Developing Countries. Tax Notes, 22 August 2017
- Donald Trump’s tax plans a ‘massive giveaway’ to richest 1%. Independent, 24 November 2016
- Mauritius rides wave of Asian investment in Africa. Financial Times, 29 September 2016
- Financial Secrecy, Tax Treaties, and the sub-Saharan Extractives Industry. Tax Notes, 2 June 2016
- From slavers to accountants: looters in Africa. Financial Times, 5 October 2015
- Developing Countries’ Options Limited in OECD-Dominated BEPS Discourse. Tax Notes, 28 July 2014